A traditional Italian egg drop soup is comfort food on a cold day or on a breezy Italian summer evening. Quickly cooked eggs, seasoned with cheese, nutmeg and pepper, float in a beef bone broth stock in this traditional Italian soup. Pour the egg mixture into the hot hearty stock (we recommend "Best of the Bone" as you can make as hearty as you want by increasing the amount), whisking as you go and promptly pulling it off the heat when done. This is a warming, soothing soup - and thanks to its intense nutrition a true battler of cold and flu.
Ingredients (for serving of 6):
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, diced
- 6 large free-range eggs
- ½ cup finely grated fresh Parmesan, plus more for serving
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7 cups hot water added to 6 (or 7 if you want it even richer and brother) tablespoons of Best of the Bone,
- 2 tablespoons chopped leaf parsley
- Using a soup pot (or dutch oven) over medium-high heat. Add olive oil. When it shimmers, add the onions. Reduce heat to medium. Stirring occasionally, cook onions for 10 to 15 minutes until tender. It’s fine if they start to take on a little color.
- In a measuring cup or medium bowl with a spout, thoroughly whisk together the eggs, ½ cup grated Parmesan, nutmeg, and black pepper.
- When onions are tender, add Parmesan (add the rind if you have and remove before serving) and Best of the Bone with water to pot. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer. While gently whisking soup with one hand, pour egg mixture into pot in a thin stream with the other. Once all of the egg mixture has been added, turn off the heat. Taste and adjust for salt.
- Ladle soup into bowls and serve immediately, garnished with Parmesan, black pepper, and parsley.
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: 40% collagen protein broth, autoimmune, beef bone broth, Best of the Bone, broth concentrate, broth gelatin, cold and flu, collagen gelatine bone soup, grass-fed, gut healing, gut health, healthy diet, healthy soups, Italian Egg Drop Broth Soup, real beef bone broth stock